Here’s some snippets of my digital health research. If you‘re interested in research collaboration or co-authorship, please do get in touch. I’d love to hear from you
My ORCID Research ID:
List of published papers:
1. Merolli, M., K. Gray, and F. Martin-Sanchez, Health outcomes and related effects of using social media in chronic disease management: A literature review and analysis of affordances. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 2013. 46(6): p. 957-969.
2. Merolli, M., K. Gray, and F. Martin-Sanchez, Developing a Framework to Generate Evidence of Health Outcomes From Social Media Use in Chronic Disease Management. Med 2.0, 2013. 2(2): p. e3.
3. Merolli, M., F. Martin-Sanchez, and K. Gray, Social Media and Online Survey: Tools for Knowledge Management in Health Research, Proceedings of the Australasian Workshop on Health Informatics and Knowledge Management (HIKM 2014), Auckland, New Zealand. Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology (CRPIT), Vol. 153.
4. Merolli, M., K. Gray, F. Martin-Sanchez, and Schulz. P, Expert insights on the design and implementation of interactive patient websites for people with chronic pain. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2014;204:110-5.
5. Merolli M, Gray K, Martin-Sanchez F. Therapeutic Affordances of Social Media: Emergent Themes From a Global Online Survey of People With Chronic Pain. J Med Internet Res 2014;16(12):e284
6. Merolli M, Gray K, Martin-Sanchez F, Lopez-Campos G. Patient-Reported Outcomes and Therapeutic Affordances of Social Media: Findings From a Global Online Survey of People With Chronic Pain. J Med Internet Res. 2015;17(1):e20
7. McAlpine H, Joubert L, Martin-Sanchez F, Merolli M, Drummond K. Online support for cancer patients: A systematic review of types and efficacy of online interventions for cancer patients. Patient Educ Couns (In Press), 2014
8. Merolli M, Gray K, Martin-Sanchez F, Mantopoulos S, Hogg M. Using Social Media While Waiting in Pain: A Clinical 12-Week Longitudinal Pilot Study. JMIR Res Protoc. 2015;4(3):e101
9. Denecke K, Bamidis P, Bond C, Gabarron E, Househ M, Lau A, Mayer MA, Merolli M, Hansen M. Ethical Issues of Social Media in Healthcare. Yearb Med Inform. 2015 13;10(1). 137-47
10. Hors-Fraile S, Atique S, Mayer M, Denecke K, Merolli M, Househ M. Unintended Consequences of Applying Social Media to Health IT: New Problems, New Solutions. Yearb Med Inform. 2016 10(1). 47-52
11. Slater H, Dear BF, Merolli MA, Li LC, Briggs AM. Use of eHealth Technologies to Enable the Implementation of Musculoskeletal Models of Care: Evidence and Practice. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2016 30(3). 483-502
12. Gray K, Martin-Sanchez F, Lopez-Campos G, Almalki M, Merolli M. Person-Generated Data in Self-Quantification: A Health Informatics Research Program. Methods Inf Med. 2016 55(6)
13. Merolli M, Gray K, Martin-Sanchez F. Patient Participation in Chronic Pain Management Through Social Media: A Clinical Study. Stud Health Tech Inform. 2016. 225. Nursing Informatics.
14. Lopez-Campos G, Merolli M, Martin-Sanchez F. Biomedical Informatics and the Digital Component of the Exposome. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2017
15. Participatory Health Through Social Media (full textbook). 2016. Elsevier (chapter 1.2 author – Patient Empowerment Through Social Media) https://www.elsevier.com/books/participatory-health-through-social-media/unknown/978-0-12-809269-9
- Med 2.0: World Congress on Social Media, Mobile Apps, Internet/Web 2.0 – London, England 2013
- Health Informatics and Knowledge Management (HIKM) – Auckland, New Zealand 2014
- Health Informatics Conference (HIC) – Melbourne, Australia 2014
- Australian Physiotherapy Association: Business & Leadership Symposium – Cairns, Australia (Oct 2014)
- Med 2.0: World Congress on Social Media, Mobile Apps, Internet/Web 2.0 – Maui, Hawaii (Nov 2014)
- Medical Informatics Europe (MIE) – Madrid, Spain 2015
- Australian Physiotherapy Association: Connect National Conference – Gold Coast, Australia (Oct 2015)
- Social Media and Participatory Health: Nursing Informatics – Geneva, Switzerland (July, 2016)
- Australian Physiotherapy Association: Business and Leadership Symposium – Darwin, Australia (Nov, 2016)
- European Region: World Confederation of Physical Therapy – Liverpool, UK (Oct, 2016)
- World Confederation of Physical Therapy – Cape Town, South Africa (July, 2017)
- Health 2.0: Health Practice Using the Internet – Lecture for the eHealth and Biomedical Informatics Systems Subject of Master of Information Technology Specialization in Health, University of Melbourne (2012, 2013)
- Developing a Framework to Generate Evidence of Health Outcomes from Social Media Use in Chronic Disease Management – Seminar, presented at PhD research colloquium, University of Lugano, Switzerland (2013),Royal Melbourne Hospital (2013), University of Melbourne (2014)
- User-Centered Design of Online Tools for the Effective Management of Chronic Pain – Presentation to the board of governors, Windermere Foundation (2014)
- Social Media Use for Chronic Pain Self-Management – Presentation at the ‘Social Media for GPs Course’, Department of General Practice, University of Melbourne (2014)
- Social Media in Chronic Disease Management – Social Media in Health Evening, Health Informatics Society of Australia (2014)
- Participatory Health and Social Media – Presented at the Austin Hospital Inflammatory Bowel Disease eHealth Colloquium, Australia (2015)
- Social Media for Advocacy – Workshops presented at Physiotherapy Departments of University of Melbourne and Macquarie University, Australia (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Social Media and Digital Health for Leadership and Management – Presented at the Physiotherapy Department, University of Melbourne (2016, 2017)
- Social Media in Healthcare – Presentation to the Myotherapy Association of Australia (2017)
- Digital Health Research Methods – Presentation for the Social Connectedness Lab at Swinburne University of Technology (2017)
Connect with my publications on ResearchGate
*All views and opinions are my own